Monday, May 27, 2019

Sarah's Quilt and Ian's Bar Table Runner May 2019

Several years ago I was given a large bundle of batik scraps of top quality cotton from Indonesia. So far I have made five quilt tops from them. When my friend Sarah came to visit she chose one of them for her lap quilt. The one she chose was a pattern called Chinese Coin, consisting of strips of fabric of varying widths sewn together and cut into long 6 1/2 inch strips. In between there are black sashes of cotton/linen. It's bound in bright pink and backed with a bright turquoise batik. Quilting is of the simplest sort in a grid of rectangles with black thread.
 Above:View of the whole quilt
 Above: Close-up of the strips which vary randomly in width
 Above:The label with the backing
Above: Close-up of the label

Sarah and Ian  are building a new bar and this table runner should fit very well.


It's a simple ninepatch set on point. I made it five ninepatches long but when using this pattern I've often shortened it to suit various purposes. The pattern came from Picklemouse Corner in Leura in the Blue Mountains of new South Wales. I've had it for many years and use it often for gifts as it is very simple and quick to make and also very versatile depending on the fabric used.

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful Myra. I have to put mine on-hold until after my exhibition.

    ReplyDelete