Thursday, August 18, 2016

Sydney Swans Quilt for Baby Zoe Margaret: August 2016

I did think I was going to get to do a baby girl quilt but it turned out her parents were keen Sydney Swans supporters and so it had to be a football quilt in the Swans colours, red and white. I embroidered ten red swans on the white blocks of this quilt. Just stem stitch, nothing fancy. Each swan is slightly different from the others. One of the swan blocks has the baby's given names embroidered on it (see above). Below is a picture of the label, always important for the provenance of any quilt.
 Below is a picture of the whole baby quilt. I hope Zoe sees many football games snuggled up in it!

Friday, March 25, 2016

Adyn's Quilt March 2016

My near neighbours just had a tiny baby boy. What a cutie he is. Dad is Turkish and Mum is Indonesian. I thought I'd have a go at my first quilt since my shoulder replacement. Something simple as I knew I would be slow. I chose some bright red fabric with little robots on it and a navy and white stripe for contrast. The binding was done in my most favoured scrappy pattern (see Picture 2), a great way of using up smaller pieces of leftover fabric which also looks good. I finished with my usual simply hand-embroidered label.


                                            1. Adyn's Quilt Fabric Close-up
                                                   2. Adyn's Quilt Label and Back
                                            3. Adyn's Quilt Close-up of Hand-embroidered Label
                                                                      4.  Adyn's Quilt

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Laurie's Quilt Nov-Dec 2015

Laurie's Quilt was done in a series of coordinating batik prints which I bought in the U.S. The main block had 17 pieces in it which extended the time for making it. The supporting block was an hourglass block, one of my fav blocks.
                                                           Above: Laurie's Quilt front
                                            Laurie's Quilt: Front Detail

                                         Above is the main block measuring 9.5 inches with 17 pieces.
                                          Above : Hourglass supporting block.
                                             Above: back of Laurie's Quilt
                                        Above: Laurie's Quilt Back Detail

                                          Above: Laurie's Quilt: Label


Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Mugbag for me December 2015

We all know that bags have a limited life. They get worn and stained and just plain dirty and have to be thrown out. Here is a picture of my new bag made for my favourite black and white mug. I thought the outside fabric was pretty conservative for me so I did the lining in a loud zebra print just to provide a surprise when the bag is opened.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

New Work Sept - Nov 2015

Its been a while since I posted. That's because I have had knee replacement surgery in October with major physio following. For my hospital stay I took lots of handsewing sewing to do and managed to complete some applique that has been hanging around for a couple of years.
I finished four of these blocks begun for a reproduction quilt begun several years ago. Now I have no excuse not to complete the whole quilt as the other blocks have already been pieced. The pink check on the background fabric was tea-dyed to damp down the colour a bit so that it toned in with the  civil war reproduction prints in the rest of the quilt.


One of the members of my craft group (Yarnspinners) kindly gave me a beautiful scrap of vintage Japanese silk.I decided it couldn't be cut up or it would be ruined so I quilted the beautiful flower print in large stitches (a pretty inept sort of sashiko) using two strands of embroidery thread. I'm pleased with the result but undecided about quilting all the pale green background. I completed the binding by hand in hospital. It's a table topper I think. I was concerned to highlight the beautiful flower print which looked like a watercolour.

I have joined an international online group called "Global Piecers" and am having a lot of enjoyment being involved in swaps etc. The group comes from countries all over the world.It's a great deal of fun hearing from everyone and preparing small pieces to send to swap partners. The prayer flag above was supposed to be a Christmas one but with all that going on as I was making it, I couldn't conceive of doing anything as jolly as Christmas. I hope my swap partner likes it! It's made of silk, cotton and linen, uses doilies and embroidery in a collage. I haven't done a prayer flag before and really enjoyed doing this one.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

More small things; August 2015




Last weekend I made a pincushion from a couple of leftover friendship star blocks, a needlebook from some Laurel Burch cat fabric and a mug bag from a pretty lavender print. Time to get back to the bigger projects soon though. Ive had a good bit of fun putting these small things together.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Needlebooks using Vintage Doileys; August 2015




I've had a lot of fun making these sweet little needlebooks as gifts for my lovely friends. I used old and stained doileys and cut out clean embroidered bits, using them on the front of the needlebook. The hand-crocheted edgings were too beautiful to waste so I stitched them across the front of the embroidery. I chose a tiny taupe print for Loretta's (at the top), knowing she likes those little flower prints. As the white background did not really go with the taupe, I tea-dyed the  embroidery and I think it worked well. I enjoyed doing these so much I'm going to do some more.