Monday, February 19, 2018

Retro Baby Shawl 2017/2018

 I've been making these beautiful shawls for many years and they are much treasured by recipients. A number of people told me that their babies loved putting their fingers through the holes. The frilly/frothy effect on the outside of the shawl makes it especially attractive. My first one was made for my daughter 43 years ago. I also took great delight in making one for her first baby in 2005. It's an old Golden Hands pattern from the 70s which I still think has not been bettered as a very special heirloom baby gift.
The close-up above shows the delightful detail of the central flower. The shawl took me over a year to make because it was only worked when I had no hand sewing to do for my quilting. By the time you get to the outside rows it takes a few hours to get around each row so it needs patience towards the end. The materials for this shawl (3 ply white acrylic) were gathered from many secondhand stores by friends in Yarnspinners. Thanks everyone! I can't tell just by looking at it that it was made from a bunch of scraps. Acrylic yarn has its uses doesn't it? The shawl is very soft, very white and can be washed often in the washing machine. It's strong, resilient and stain resistant.

1 comment: